Mar 4, 2009

Crisis and opportunity

A Chinese Saying,
"Opportunity is always present in the midst of crisis. Every crisis carries two elements, danger and opportunity. No matter the difficulty of the circumstances, no matter how dangerous the situation ..... at the heart of each crisis lies a tremendous opportunity. Great Blessings lie ahead for the one who knows the secret of finding the opportunity within each crisis."

In year 2007, I started the course of MBA in Hong Kong. Because of heavy burden of assignments of the course, it is obviously that speed of issuing post slow down, in other words, less time for thinking! Today, an event, a negative comment from my colleague to my job, made me calm down, forced me to meditate my job.

14 years, came out from college, still now, I don't like my job repeatedly everyday. I can not rise my interesting to do the same job which I have done before. I want a new assignment and like the new challenge. Nobody likes challenge and crisis, but I use the new assignment and challenge to make the crisis for myself. I need crisis to push me moving on. For these year, I fully studied the Chinese saying stated at the beginning of this article. The good opportunity is always come from the most dangerous place, postion or duty...

10 years before, I was a project engineer. I was assigned to develop a new product for the factory. The product was totally not familiar for the company. At that moment, serious conflict in different process departments, unfortunately, the new product needed to be produced through all process stations. I knew the risk for following the project, I faced many and many blocks, but I have a passion to complete my job. What is the result? I became the engineering manager after the project. May be I had not enough experience to be the manager at that moment, may be I had not enough knowledge of management to be the manager, but I had enough passion and volition to promote that position. Company gave me the opportunity to try.

Another short story, 5 years before, I just changed my job to a new company. Just on board for a few days, my underlings argued seriously with the colleague in other department. They were arguing be email and copied all over the company, it caused a really bad image to other departments. It also a risk for me at that moment, I stop their arguing and one email in 30 seconds, called them to discuss the issue face by face. What is the result? My boss ascertain my ability and my underlings felt confidence for my capability.

Thess years, I joined the course of MBA. So many people asked me why I need to study the course? I never gave them a certainly answer. Actually, my underlings improved and upgraded so much and they created the threaten for me. I need some upgrade for myself to avoid the crisis. The crisis management theory for me is simple, not plan for when will it happen, the important thing is how to plan for preventing them.

For the these many years, I have long time not hearing the negative comment for my job. I was already unfamiliar for negative speaking. It is so dangerous for me, not from the comment from my colleague. Frankly speaking, I don't agree the comment for his point of view to my existing result, the result from him can not cause any danger to me. The most dangerous to me is, I almost forget the useful power to push me, the crisis!!! At recent moment, I felt I was stop in a stage and I can not break through. I need some motivator for my career. Honestly say, I am never angry with anybody who gave me the negative comment. Let say the negative comment only represent 1% of my performance, I will improve the 1% accordingly.

In recent moment, I quit my job but it is not my willing. At least, it is not in my schedule, I planned to seek a new job after Chinese new year and resign when I got a better one. The time line is not in a big gap but I was quit passively. May be it is the good time for me to think about my plan for future.

No comments: